Your January update - Sussex Innovation
Published: 02 Feb 2023
January: themes and resolutions
Welcome back! The start of the year always prompts a lot of thinking and planning - whether it's making individual resolutions, or re-examining your business strategy. Our team have been sharing their personal 'New Year themes' all month over on our social accounts, and we've been hard at work developing a range of new programmes that we'll be launching to our community this year.
If you're dedicating some time to a new business venture in 2023, come and join us in Brighton for the last of our Great Accelerator events in partnership with the Business Hot House. The programme ends in March, so it's one last chance for early stage and micro businesses to access free consultancy. Check out our events roundup below.
Our consultancy team share their insights around the latest trends in innovation. This month: we kick off 2023 with predictions for the year ahead and advice for coping with the January blues.
- New Year Welcome
Our Chief Executive Nigel Lambe's message to the community, celebrating some of the biggest successes of 2022 and looking forward to our plans for the next year.
- 10 Business Trends to Look Out For in 2023
From economic turmoil to the emergence of digital transformation tools on a budget, we're in for another year of rapid change. Maria breaks down the biggest trends to watch out for, and how your business may be able to capitalise.
- Blue Monday Tips from the Sussex Innovation Community
It's often tough to maintain your energy levels and motivation at work in the wake of the holidays. Joseph shares advice from several of Sussex Innovation's mental health, wellbeing and resilience experts about how to practice self-care at this time of year.
A selection of the latest headlines from the Sussex Innovation community. This month, comment on the Prime Minister's New Year speech from National Numeracy, and new product launches for Definition Health and RaceNation.
- Rishi Sunak is right to put "maths 'til 18" at the top of the agenda - Sam Sims, Chief Executive of National Numeracy, highlights the UK's lack of basic numeracy skills and outlines why he supports the government's new flagship policy.
- Definition Health to launch pathway for surgical patients at Arab Health - co-founder Sandeep Chauhan will introduce Definition Health's platform at the international digital health conference as a solution to the backlog of elective surgeries worldwide.
- 5 networking technology trends of 2023 - Alan Hayward of SEH Technology shares his predictions for enterprise technology over the next year.
- RaceNation integrates with instalment payment provider Klarna - the event registration and fundraising platform has moved to address a cash flow challenge facing the events industry in the face of the cost of living crisis.
The most important dates for your diary next month. We're hosting our final Great Accelerator event for start-up businesses, as well as a couple of intimate sales training lunches.
- The Great Accelerator Brighton 1st-2nd Feb - two days of fully funded workshops, offering a comprehensive toolkit for ambitious founders to work on their business model and strategy with experts. Get match-fit to tackle the challenges and opportunities facing every small business owner this year.
- Knowledge Hub Croydon: Influencing Others and Winning the Pitch 7th Feb / Knowledge Hub Falmer: Influencing Others and Winning the Pitch 9th Feb - in the first of our monthly 'lunch and learn' events held at our centres in Croydon and Falmer, executive coach Richard Lassiter will share his top sales techniques and tactics. The Knowledge Hub is an intimate Q&A-style event for founders to talk through experiences and advice with peers.