Speaker Line Up Announced for MSDC’s Skills and Apprenticeships Event!
Published: 05 Mar 2019
Open4Business 2019 will be held at Harlands Road College site, Haywards Heath, 14th March
Mid Sussex District Council (MSDC) is proud to announce the speaker line-up for the 2019 return of its successful business expo event Open 4 Business: Skills and Apprenticeships. The event is being held at the Harlands Road College site in Haywards Heath on 14th March from 11.30-16.00.
Pre-registration for the event, which is free to attend and open to all businesses and individuals interested in skills and apprenticeships, is now available via Eventbrite at the following link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/open4business-skills-and-apprenticeships-tickets-55897148877
The speaker line-up features a range of experts from business, industry and education who will be presenting on subjects around skills and apprenticeships, a key theme of the Council’s Economic Development Strategy 2018-2031. Topics include busting myths about apprenticeships, the importance of STEM skills, how to tackle the skills gap and how to grow your own talent. The event will also play host to an exclusive pop up café, run by catering students from the Chichester College Group’s Crawley College campus.
Councillor Jonathan Ash-Edwards, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Economic Growth at MSDC, will kick start the speaker programme.The itinerary for the day is as follows:
- 11.30: Doors open
- 11.50-11.55: Cllr Jonathan Ash-Edwards, Deputy Leader, MSDC
- Opening remarks
- 12.00-12.20: Dr Ajay Sharman, Regional Network Lead, STEM learning
- Playing your part: How employers can inspire the STEM generation
- 12.30 – 12.50: Marie Harris, Strategic lead for apprenticeships, Steve Willis Training
- Busting apprenticeship myths
- 12.50 – 13.20: Lunch Break
- 13.20 – 13.40: Simon Chuter, Student Enterprise Manager, Sussex Innovation Centre
- The Catalyst Team – a different way of accessing student talent
- 13.50 – 14.10: Holly Ryder and Dexter Hutchings, Young Apprentice Ambassador Network
- Introducing YAAN and the benefits of apprenticeships for businesses
- 14.20 – 14.40: Jeff Alexander, CEO, Gatwick Diamond Business
- Gatwick Diamond - Meeting the skills challenge
- 14.50 – 15.10: Luke Murphy, TR Fastenings and Daniel Karlsson, East Sussex College
- The benefits of growing your own to grow your business
- 15.20 – 15.40: Shelagh Legrave, CEO and Julie Kapsalis, MD, Chichester College Group
- The different options for filling the skills gap within your organisation
- 16.00: Event close
Further information around the event can be found at www.o4b.org.uk or by following us on @midsussexo4b on Twitter and @midsussexdistrictcouncil on Facebook.