Your November update - Sussex Innovation
Published: 29 Nov 2022
November: in with the new!
Before you know it, a new year is almost upon us! As we head into the final weeks of 2022, we've been developing a whole new range of consultancy programmes to support larger local SMEs.
Our final few projects this year are a selection of 'Hit Squads', supported by the UK Community Renewal Fund. They involve in-depth, multi-disciplinary strategic consultancy, and we're looking forward to rolling them out to everyone in 2023.
We've designed the Hit Squads to respond to some of the biggest challenges we've been hearing from the region's more established companies over the past year. You can read more from Nigel Lambe about how and why we're tackling recruitment, retention and process innovation here. And if you've got a challenge that you'd like our help with, let us know using the email below.
Our consultancy team share their insights around the latest trends in innovation. This month: coaching, statistical analysis, dub music... and watch our new TV show on YouTube!
- Sussex Pioneers: 12 stories to help you innovate -
By popular demand, we're making our Sussex Pioneers series available to watch on YouTube. Each episode tackles one of the fundamental concepts behind innovation, through inspiring local business stories, roundtable discussion and expert insights. The first four episodes are already available to watch, with more on the way soon.
- Why investing in your employees is a win-win -
With economic uncertainty making it hard to invest and even harder to hire, Richard argues that now is the perfect time to think about coaching and upskilling your team.
- Striving for better -
'Minimising losses and maximising wins' sounds like a great business strategy on paper, so why does it sometimes do more harm than good? Frank explains how to avoid the trap of skilful incompetence.
- The roots of dub music - reinvention and remix -
The roots of any innovation are a curious blend of the right technology, environment and circumstances, as Sam's look at the history behind the dub reggae genre reveals.
A selection of the latest headlines from the Sussex Innovation community. This month, ten years of the Aquaculture Stewardship Council, Mojeek interviewed by UKTN, and a contract for AMD's technology to head out into the solar system.
- ASC marks ten years of transforming aquaculture - the Aquaculture Stewardship Council has published its first annual report, and reflects on the industry's journey towards more sustainable seafood farming.
- Meet Mojeek, the UK search engine taking on Google's 'unhealthy monopoly' - Mojeek plans to take on Google's search dominance by building its own catalogue of web pages in a way that requires as little personal data collection as possible.
- AMD signs contract with NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab - NASA's JPL intends to use Advanced Material Development's proprietary nanomaterial coatings on the Europa Clipper spacecraft that will search for liveable habitats beneath the surface of one of Jupiter's moons.
The most important dates for your diary next month. Before office party season kicks off in earnest, we've found a final few sessions for you, led by our local partners and community...
- University of Sussex Business School Innovation Network 1st Dec - Join the University Business School's new innovation network to refresh, reset and share your innovative thinking with other businesses, as well as hear presentations on topics including R&D, grant applications and tax.
- Bite-Sized Learning: What you really need to know about email marketing 6th Dec - get more out of your emails with a bite-sized learning session hosted by Brighton